Solomon Foot Cabin
Willmar, MN 56201
In 1857, Solomon Foot and his family ventured to Minnesota from Indiana. They traveled from St. Paul to Columbia (Spicer) where the family stayed while Foot built a house on his claim in section 1 and 2 of Willmar Township. The Foot family lived here until the U.S.-Dakota Conflict of 1862. On August 20, 1862, while haying, a man approach Solomon Foot and warned him of the Acton murders and fighting at the Lower Sioux Agency. Foot, his wife, Adeline and their two children prepared to go to Green Lake as a precaution. This was also where their other children were living. On the way to Green Lake, the family stopped at Oscar Erickson’s cabin and decided to stay the night. The Dakota approached Erickson’s cabin and camped nearby. The next morning, a skirmish ensued between the Dakota and the settlers, wounding Oscar Erickson and Solomon Foot. After the Dakota left, the women and children went to find safety at Forest City. Later, Guri Endreson and her son arrived at the cabin and tended to the two men’s wounds. The party then went on to Forest City where they were reunited with their families. Foot joined the army after his family safely arrived in St. Cloud. He enlisted on March 28, 1864 in Company B, Hatch’s Cavalry Battalion. He mustered out on June 9, 1866. After serving in the Civil War, Foot moved his family to Melrose, MN. His first wife, Adeline Stocking Foot died in Melrose in 1879. He later married Julia Foot, his brother Silas’ widow, and she died in 1886. He moved to Minot, North Dakota and finally on to California where he died. Solomon Foot will always be considered one of the first pioneers in the Willmar area; some even call him the “Daniel Boone” of Kandiyohi County. Foot had a reputation for his sharp shooting skills with a gun. Two lakes in the county are named after him; Foot Lake and Solomon Lake. This cabin was raided by the Dakota, but was left standing. Foot’s well is still visible and lies about 150 yards north of this marker.
Where: This marker is located 2 miles north of Willmar on U.S. Highway No. 71-23, then ¾ mile west on 26th Ave NE.