Many tribes of Indians lived in this area, but the last was the Lakota or Sioux. Originally they were forest Indians, living in northern Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and eastward. Increasing pressures from eastern tribes drove them to the west and south until, sometime in the distant past, they began to break away from the Great Lakes and spread over the prairie, developing into seven great nations. These nations banded together and called themselves “Lakotah (“banded together”).” The name “Sioux” is a contraction of a French name for them.
One of these bands established a great camp on the north shore of Green Lake. The camp existed for well over 100 years, until still-increasing pressure from tribes into the north and east and the treaties of the 1850’s brought them to the Minnesota River reservation. The burial grounds for the camp were located just south of the Green Lake outlet, along Indian Beach and extending eastward across the highway. Natural erosion and agriculture had reduced the mounds until they are now barely visible to the naked eye. This is one of the larger Indian mound complexes in the State of Minnesota.
Where: The marker stands in Green Lake County Park (formerly County Park No. 5) on the northeast shore of Green Lake, 3.5 miles east of MN 23 on County Road 30.
Copyright © 2018 Willmar Lakes Area Convention & Visitors Bureau. All Rights Reserved.